Bollywood music has produced thousands (may be lacs) of sad songs or tragic songs which enable the listener to vent out his grief, anguish, frustration and sadness. Out of thousands of such musical gems, I have selected just a handful for this review. This list is, naturally, a subjective one according to my own choice. Readers’ may have their own different choices.
Since Talat Mahmood has sung so many excellent sad songs that one review may not be enough to accomodate even them alone, I have taken only a few of Talat’s sad songs, leaving others.
I have not included certain great sad songs like Koi Hota Jisko Apna (Mere Apne – 1971), Guzra Hua Zamaana (Shirin Farhad – 1956), Teri Yaad Dil Se Bhulane Chala Hoon (Hariyali Aur Rasta – 1962) and Jaane Kahaan Gaye Woh Din (Mera Naam Joker – 1970) in this review because they have been covered in my review of top twenty Hindi songs. I have also not included Ghazals in this article because they will be considered in a separate article on Hindi movie Ghazals.
Here is my list of top twenty sad songs from Bollywood movies :
1. Agar Dil Hamaara Sheeshe Ke Badle Patthar Ka Hota (Ek Kunwari Ek Kunwara – 1973) : This sad song is one of Kishore Kumar’s rare gems which was penned by Prakash Mehra, composed by Kalyanji Anandji and picturized on Rakesh Roshan. The lyric is so beautiful and touching that it has to be my numero uno sad song. However it can be considered a philosophical song too, depending upon how we perceive it.
2. Haan Deewaana Hoon Main (Saranga – 1960) : This song of Mukesh is very close to my heart and I myself love to sing it. Picturized on Sudesh Kumar, penned by Bharat Vyas and composed by Sardar Malik (Anu Malik’s father).
3. Sham-E-Gham Ki Kasam (Foot Path – 1953) : Talat Mahmood’s great song, penned by Ali Sardar Zafri and composed by Khayyam. Picturized on Dilip Kumar.
4. Jab Dil Hi Toot Gaya Hum Jee Ke Kya Karenge (Shahjehan – 1946) : The classic sad song of K.L. Saigal, picturized on himself only, penned by Majrooh and composed by Naushad.
5. Hasrat Hi Rahi Humse Bhi Kabhi Koi Pyar Karta (Bombay Ka Chor – 1962) : Kishore Kumar’s moving song which is very close to my heart. Picturized on Kishore himself, penned by Rajender Krishan and composed by Ravi.
6. Swapna Jhare Phool Se, Meet Chubhe Shool Se (Nai Umar Ki Nai Fasal – 1965) : This classic literary lyric penned by the great Hindi poet, Gopal Das Neeraj is better known by the words – Kaarvaan Guzar Gaya Gubaar Dekhte Rahe. Composed by Roshan, sung by Rafi and picturized on Rajeev.
7. Ek Hasrat Thi Ki Aanchal Ka Mujhe Pyar Mile (Zindagi Aur Toofan – 1975) : Another great literary Hindi lyric which has been authored by a less known Hindi poet – Ram Avtar Tyagi. Sung by Mukesh, composed by Laxmikant Pyarelal and picturized on Saazid Khan.
8. Zubaan Pe Dard Bhari Daastaan Chali Aayi (Maryada – 1971) : Mukesh’s classic sad song, picturized on Rajesh Khann, penned by Anand Bakshi and composed by Kalyanji Anandji.
9. Khizaan Ke Phool Pe Aati Kabhi Bahaar Nahin (Do Raaste – 1969) : Another classic song picturized on Rajesh Khanna but this time sung by Kishore Kumar. Penned by Anand Bakshi again but composed by Laxmikant Pyarelal.
10. Jeena Hamko Raas Na Aaya (Raat Aur Din – 1967) : Lata’s touching sad song with painful words penned by Shailendra strung in the composition of Shankar Jaikishan. It’s been picturized on Nargis.
11. Meri Yaad Mein Tum Na Aansoo Bahaana (Madhosh – 1951) : Talat Mahmood’s classic sad song penned by Raja Mehndi Ali Khan, composed by Madan Mohan and picturized on Manhar Desai.
12. Dil Ka Khilona Haay Toot Gaya (Goonj Uthi Shehnai – 1959) : Lata’s great sad song, picturized on Ameeta, penned by Bharat Vyas and composed by Vasant Desai.
13. Jaane Woh Kaise Log The Jinke Pyar Ko Pyar Mila (Pyaasa-1957) : A classic sad song of Hemant Kumar which I myself love to sing. Penned by Saahir Ludhiyanvi, composed by S.D. Burman and picturized on Guru Dutt.
14. Teri Duniya Mein Jeene Se To Behtar Hai Ki Mar Jaayen (House No. 44 – 1955) : Another classic sad song by the same team of lyricist, composer and singer. It’s picturized on Dev Anand.
15. Badnaam Na Ho Jaaye Mohabbat Ka Fasaana (Shaheed – 1948) : A classic song sung by Surinder Kaur and picturized on Kamini Kaushal. It’s been penned by Raja Mehndi Ali Khan and composed by Ghulam Haider.
16. Is Bhari Duniya Mein Koi Bhi Hamaara Na Hua (Bharosa – 1963) : A memorable Ghazal by Rafi, soaked in the melancholy of a lonely person . Penned by Rajender Krishan, composed by Ravi and picturized on Guru Dutt.
17. Aa Ja Meri Barbaad Mohabbat Ke Sahaare (Anmol Ghadi – 1946) : A classic sad song of Noor Jehan, picturized on herself only. Penned by Tanveer Naqvi and composed by Naushad.
18. Jise Tu Kabool Kar Le Woh Sada Kahaan Se Laaoon (Devdas – 1955) : Lata’s song, picturized on Vyjayanthimala (singing for Dilip Kumar) is so meaningful that it’s a treat for the poetry lovers. It’s been authored by Saahir and composed by S.D. Burman.
19. Aye Mere Dil Kahin Aur Chal (Daag – 1952) : Talat Mahmood’s classic sad song which I myself love to sing for the audience. It’s penned by Shailendra, composed by Shankar-Jaikishan and picturized on Dilip Kumar.
20. Aankh Hai Bhari Bhari Aur Tum Musuraane Ki Baat Karte Ho (Tumse Achchha Kaun Hai – 2002) : A very beautiful and touching lyric penned by Sameer, composed by Nadeem Shravan and picturized on Nakul Kapoor. The voice is of Kumar Sanu. In the album it is available in the female voice too (of Alka Yagnik).
In addition to these, the following sad songs are also very dear to me :
1. Yaara Seeli Seeli Birha Ki Raat Ka Jalna (Lekin – 1991) : Lata’s unforgettable sad song, picturized on Dimple Kapadia, penned by Gulzaar and composed by Hridaynath Mangeshkar. .
2. Dekhi Zamaane Ki Yaari, Bichhade Sabhi Baari Baari (Kaagaz Ke Phool – 1959) : A great sad song (can be considered a philosophical song too) of Rafi, picturized on Guru Dutt. S.D. Burman has touchingly composed the highly meaningful and hard-hitting lyric of Kaifi Aazmi.
3. Humko Tumhaare Ishq Ne Kya Kya Bana Diya (Ek Musafir Ek Hasina – 1962) : Rafi’s touching sad song, picturized on Joy Mukherjee (singing for Saadhna). O.P. Nayyar has composed the lyric of Shevan Rizvi.
4. Mann Re Tu Hi Bata Kya Gaaoon (Humrahi – 1963) : A great sad song of Lata, picturized on Jamuna. Shankar Jaikishan has composed the emotional lyric of Shailendra.
5. Main To Tum Sang Nain Mila Ke Haar Gayi Sajna (Man Mauji – 1962) : Another gem of Lata, picturized on Saadhna. Madan Mohan has composed the highly melodious tune for the lyric of Rajender Krishan.
6. Aanchal Mein Saja Lena Kaliyan Zulfon Mein Sitare Bhar Lena (Phir Wohi Dil Laya Hoon – 1963) : A sad song sung by Joy Mukherjee for Asha Parekh on the screen which is always able to make my eyes wet due to the emotional words embedded in it. Sung by Rafi, penned by Majrooh and composed by O.P. Nayyar.
7. Kiska Rasta Dekhe Aye Dil Aye Saudai (Joshila – 1973) : Kishore Da’s classic sad song picturized on Dev Anand. Pancham Da (R.D. Burman) has composed the lyric of Saahir.
8. Mere Naina Saawan Bhaadon Phir Bhi Mera Mann Pyaasa (Mehbooba – 1976) : A classic song in the Raag Shivranjani sung by both Kishore (for Rajesh Khanna) and Lata (for Hema Malini). R.D. Burman has prepared the composition for the lyric of Anand Bakshi.
9. Jaayen To Jaayen Kahaan (Taxi Driver – 1954) : Sachin Da (S.D. Burman) composed this tear-jerking lyric of Saahir in a composition based on Rabindra Sangeet which went on to become an all time great song of Talat Mahmood (sung for Dev Anand on the screen).
10. Tujhe Yaad Na Meri Aayi Kisi Se Ab Kya Kehna (Kuchh Kuchh Hota Hai – 1998) : Jatin Lalit composed such a tear-jerking tune of this song penned by Sameer which whenever I watch on the screen (being performed by Kajol), I am seldom able to control my emotions. It has been sung by Alka Yagnik, Udit Naarayan and Manpreet Akhtar.
11. Laakhon Taare Aasmaan Mein (Hariyali Aur Rasta – 1962) : An emotional duet of Lata and Mukesh, picturized on Mala Sinha and Manoj Kumar, penned by Hasrat Jaipuri and composed by Shankar Jaikishan.
12. Poochho Na Kaise Maine Rainn Bitaai (Meri Soorat Teri Aankhen – 1963) : A classic song of Manna Dey, performed on the screen by Ashok Kumar. Shailendra’s lyric has been composed by Sachin Da (S.D. Burman) in Raag Ahir Bhairav.
13. Mohabbat Ki Jhoothi Kahaani Pe Roye (Mughal-E-Azam – 1960) : Lata’s classic sad song, sung for Madhubala which has been composed by Naushad and the credit of the lyric goes to Shakeel Badayuni.
14. Dil Todne Wale Tujhe Dil Dhoondh Raha Hai (Son of India – 1962) : A classic sad duet of Lata and Rafi, picturized on Kum Kum and Kamaljeet, penned by Shakeel Badayuni and composed by Naushad.
15. Jaane Kya Dhoondhti Rehti Hain Yeh Aankhen Mujhmein (Shola Aur Shabnam – 1961) : Rafi’s touching sad song which Dharmendra sings on the screen for Tarla. Khayyam has composed the lyric of Kaifi Aazmi.
16. Aansoo Bhari Hain Ye Jeevan Ki Raahen, Koi Unse Keh De Hamen Bhool Jaayen (Parvarish – 1958) : Mukesh’s memorable sad song, picturized on Raj Kapoor. Hasrat Jaipuri’s lyric has been composed by Dattaram.
17. Taqdeer Ka Fasaana Jaa Ke Kise Sunaayen (Sehra – 1963) : A great sad song of Rafi, sung for Prashant. Hasrat’s lyric has been composed by Ramlal.
18. Do Hanson Ka Joda Bichhad Gayo Re (Ganga Jumna – 1962) : A tear-jerking sad song sung by and picturized on Vyjayanthimala, penned by Shakeel Badayuni and composed by Naushad.
19. Ye Duniya Ye Mehfil Mere Kaam Ki Nahin (Heer Raanjha – 1970) : Rafi’s classic sad song, sung for Raaj Kumar, penned by Kaifi Aazmi and composed by Madan Mohan.
20. Teri Duniya Mein Dil Lagta Nahin, Wapas Bula Le (Baaware Nain – 1950) : A touching song of singer Mukesh and performer Raj Kapoor which I am ready to listen to any number of times. It’s penned by Kidar Sharma and composed by Roshan.
21. Kajre Ki Baati Ansuvan Ke Tel Mein, Aali Main Haar Gayi Aankhiyan Ke Khel Mein (Sawan Ko Aane Do – 1979) : A sad duet sung by Sulakshana Pandit and Yesudas whose words penned by Maya Govind carry high literary value. Rajkamal is the music director and Zarina Wahab and Arun Govil have performed it on the screen.
22. Koi Ye Kaise Bataaye Ki Woh Tanha Kyon Hai (Arth – 1982) : A very painful nazm penned by Kaifi Aazmi and sung and composed by Jagjit Singh, picturized on Raj Kiran who sings it for Shabana Aazmi.
23. Pyar Mujhse Jo Kiya Tumne To Kya Paaogi (Saath Saath – 1982) : A sad song which Farooq Sheikh sings for Deepti Naval. Jagjit Singh gives him the playback for the song authored by Javed Akhtar and composed by Kuldeep Singh.
24. Tere Dard Se Dil Aabaad Raha, Kuchh Bhool Gaye Kuchh Yaad Raha (Deewana – 1992) : A touching sad song sung by Kumar Sanu for Rishi Kapoor in the movie, penned by Sameer and composed by Nadeem Shravan.
25. Jiyen To Jiyen Kaise Bin Aapke (Saajan – 1991) : This sad song has been sung by Pankaj Ud-haas (for himself) and S.P. Balasubrahmanium (for Salmaan Khan), Kumar Sanu (for Sanjay Dutt) and Anuradha Paudwal (for Madhuri Dixit). Nadeem Shravan has composed the lyric of Faiz Anwar.
© Copyrights reserved