First of all, I sincerely thank my dear friend and esteemed reviewer and blogger Mazhar Nawaz for inspiring me to write this review. Yogesh Gaud (or Yogesh Gaur) is the name which should have shone in the world of literature but fortunately for the cine-lovers, he entered Bollywood and wrote certain lyrics which became part of memorable songs enriching Bollywood music. Staying away from the rate race and the politics of Bollywood, this great poet did not get sufficient opportunities to showcase his talent and only some selected music directors gave him chance to pen lyrics for their compositions. Most of his lyrics are real gems, containing high literary value.Following are my top ten songs written by Yogesh :
- Kahaan Tak Yeh Mann Ko Andhere Chhalenge (Baton Baton Mein – 1979): This is one of the most underrated songs of Kishore Kumar and the least known song of the movie. Penetrating the heart of the listener deep within, this sad song touches many shores of the ocean called emotion. Rajesh Roshan has composed it and Amol Palekar has performed on it.
- Aaye Tum Yaad Mujhe, Gaane Lagi Har Dhadkan (Mili – 1975): A very touching song sung by Kishore Kumar and filmed on Amitabh Bachchan with the melodious composition of Sachin Da (S.D. Burman).
- Zindagi Kaisi Hai Paheli Haaye (Anand – 1970): The immortal philosophical song of Manna Dey, the singer and Rajesh Khanna, the performer with the music of Salil Chaudhary.
- Na Jaane Kyun Hota Hai Yeh Zindagi Ke Saath (Chhoti Si Baat – 1975): A very touching song sung by Lata Mangeshkar, composed by Salil Chaudhary and filmed on Vidya Sinha which underscores this peculiarity of love that after the separation from the beloved, the heart reminisces even the most trivial things of him / her.
- Kai Baar Yun Bhi Dekha Hai (Rajnigandha – 1974): A very philosophical song sung by Mukesh and filmed on Dinesh Thakur and Vidya Sinha with the composition of Salil Chaudhary which highlights the running of the heart after a mirage, breaking all the bounds.
- Rimjhim Gire Saawan, Sulag Sulag Jaaye Mann (Manzil – 1979): A very romantic rain song sung by Lata and Kishore for Moushumi Chatterjee and Amitabh Bachchan which has been composed by Pancham Da (R.D. Burman).
- Na Bole Tum Na Maine Kuchh Kaha (Baton Baton Mein – 1979): A very romantic duet in the enchanting voices of Asha Bhosle and Amit Kumar with a romance-soaked dancing performance of Amol Palekar and Tina Munim. Rajesh Roshan has composed it.
- Rajnigandha Phool Tumhare Yun Hi Mehke Jeevan Mein (Rajnigandha – 1974): A very soft and heart-winning romantic song linking someone’s love to the fragrance of the flowers of tuberose. Lata has sung it for Vidya Sinha in Salil Da’s music direction.
- Kahin Door Jab Din Dhal Jaaye (Anand – 1970): Mukesh’s immortal song sung for Rajesh Khanna under Salil Da’s music direction. This lyric contains a unique blend of pain and love. A lonely person visualizes someone’s love as the day loses its existence into dusk and the evening deepens.
- Raaton Ke Saaye Ghane, Jab Bojh Dil Par Bane (Annadata – 1972): Lata’s underrated song sung for Jaya Bhaduri with Salil Da being the composer. This beautiful song is an inspiring one which renders the invaluable message never to lose hope despite adverse times.
In addition to the above, the following lyrics penned by Yogesh are also very dear to me :
- Guzar Jaaye Din Din Din (Annadata – 1972): Kishore Kumar has sung it in frolicsome style for Anil Dhawan who is cycling in the scene. The composition is of Salil Da.
- Yeh Din Kya Aaye Lage Phool Hansne (Chhoti Si Baat – 1975): A very beautiful song whose every word is soaked in joy and enthusiasm of a happy heart. Under Salil Da’s music direction, Mukesh has sung it for Amol Palekar.
- Maine Kaha Phoolon Se Hanso To Woh Khilkhila Kar Hans Diye (Mili – 1975): A very good song inspiring to live the life to the fullest just like the flowers. Lata has sung it for Jaya Bhaduri under Sachin Da’s music direction.
- Badi Sooni Sooni Si Hai Zindagi Yeh Zindagi (Mili – 1975): Kishore Da’s sad song sung for Amitabh Bachchan with Sachin Da being the composer.
- Koi Roko Na Deewane Ko, Mann Machal Raha Kuchh Gaane Ko (Priyatama – 1977): Rajesh Roshan has composed this joyous song and his brother Rakesh Roshan has performed on it with the playback given by Kishore Kumar.
- Tum Jo Aao To Pyar Aa Jaaye (Sakhi Robin – 1962): A romantic duet of Manna Dey and Suman Kalyanpur sung for Ranjan and Shalini with Robin Banerjee as the music director.
- Sau Baar Banaakar Maalik Ne Sau Baar Mitaaya Hoga (Ek Raat – 1968): A long forgotten yet immensely beautiful song of Rafi, composed by Usha Khanna in which the beauty of the lady is praised by the lover with different metaphors used to narrate the beauty of her different limbs. Ravi Kumar sings it on the screen praising the beauty of Simi Grewal.
© Copyrights reserved