Today is my 48th birth anniversary and I start celebrating it with the review of comedy songs from Hindi movies.
Bollywood movies have produced songs for all the situations that exist in the world and the life. Hence we find songs falling under all the possible categories. So whatever is the life-situation, a Hindi movie song is always there to fit the bill. Today I am presenting the list of my favourite comedy songs. These are the songs which are able to make me laugh again and again whenever I watch them on the screen. Yes, watchability is the factor which differentiates comedy songs from other types. A successful comedy song should contain the characteristic of tickling the funny bone of the audience and for that good picturization is also required alongwith interesting lyric and ear-catchy musical composition. I have selected songs for my list from this criteria only. My top ten comedy songs are as follows :
- Jaate Ho Jaane Jaana, Aakhri Salaam Lete Jaana (Parvarish – 1977) : This song sung by Shailendra Singh, Amit Kumar, Asha Bhosle and Aarti Mukherjee and picturized on Amitabh Bachchan, Vinod Khanna, Shabaana Aazmi and Neetu Singh always makes me laugh freely because of the comic situation created for it, the laughter-generating words of the songs and the performances of the actors. That’s why it is the numero uno comedy song for me. Majrooh’s lyric has been composed melodiously by Laxmikant Pyarelal. The situation of this song is an admirable example of creativity in the line of comedy.
- Dil Ka Haal Sune Dilwala (Shri 420 – 1955) : A highly enjoyable song of Manna Dey with an inherent message too. Indian Charlie Chaplin, Raj Kapoor has performed hilariously on this song. Shankar-Jaikishan has composed the meaningful lyric of Shailendra. Indian poor search their laughters in their poverty itself. Perhaps Shailendra poured out his own anguish and pain in this song.
- Thande Thande Paani Se Nahaana Chahiye (Pati Patni Aur Woh – 1978) : This song is, in fact, a laugh riot for the audience with the hilarious acting of Sanjeev Kumar, his wife, Vidya Sinha and his son, Master Bittu upon the voices of Mahendra Kapoor, Asha Bhonsle and Sushma Shreshth. The amusing lyric of Anand Bakshi has been nicely composed by Ravindra Jain. The situation is so funny and fully of love within the family of father-mother-child that the viewer can’t help imagining himself / herself in that.
- Sar Jo Tera Chakraaye (Pyaasa – 1957) : A great song for both Mohammed Rafi, the singer and Johnny Walker, the artist. S.D. Burman has composed this hilarious song of Saahir Ludhianvi.
- Do Bechare, Bina Sahaare (Victoria No. 203 – 1972) : A laughing journey on the screen for the audience alongwith Ashok Kumar and Pran. Better to watch then to describe. Kishore Kumar and Mahendra Kapoor have given their voices to the lyric of Varma Malik, composed by Kalyan Ji-Anand Ji.
- Paanch Rupaiya Baarah Aana (Chalti Ka Naam Gaadi – 1958) : A great comedy song of the singer-actor Kishore Kumar. Penned by Majrooh Sultanpuri and composed by S.D. Burman.
- Ek Baat Suni Hai Chachaji, Batlaane Wali Hai (Naram Garam – 1981) : Hrishikesh Mukherjee exasperated the comedy talent of Shatrughan Sinha in this movie. This song penned by Gulzar and composed by R.D. Burman is a rare display of Shatru Bhaiya’s comic skills which Kiran Vairale sings on the screen, teasing his uncle (Shatrughan) regarding the talks of a matrimonial alliance for him. Shatrughan has given his voice also for this song which has been mainly sung by Sushma Shreshth.
- Ek Chatur Naar (Padosan – 1968) : This is a memorable comedy song presented in a stylish manner on the screen by Mahmood, Kishore Kumar and Sunil Dutt with Sunil Dutt lip-syncing with the voice of Kishore who is hidden from the eyes of Mahmood. R.D. Burman has composed the lyric of Rajender Krishan and the voices have been given by Kishore Kumar and Manna Dey.
- Sunn Sunn Sunn Deedi Tere Liye Ek Rishta Aaya Hai (Khoobsurat – 1980) : A younger sister gets an opportunity to tease her elder sister when a matrimonial alliance is being fixed for her. This hilarious song is of this type only with Rekha teasing her would-be married elder sister, Aaradhna with respect to the characteristics of her would-be groom. It’s been penned by Gulzar, composed by Pancham Da (R.D. Burman) and sung by Asha Bhosle.
- All Is Well (3 Idiots – 2009) : I hope, regarding inclusion of this song there should be consensus among the readers. Aamir Khan, Sharman Joshi and R. Madhvan alongwith others, have created a laugh-riot on the screen through this song, penned by Swanand Kirkire and composed by Shantanu Moitra. The voices are of Sonu Nigam, Shaan and Swanand Kirkire.
Other than these top ten, I like the following comedy songs too very much :
- Lara Lappa Lara Lappa Laayi Rakhda (Ek Thi Ladki – 1949) : Lata’s evergreen Punjabi style song from this immensely popular movie of its time whose heroine Meena Shourie (whom this song has been picturized on) had become a star overnight with this movie. The lyricist and composer of this song is a less known music director – Vinod.
- Bholi Soorat Dil Ke Khote (Albela – 1951) : An all time great hilarious duet penned by Rajender Krishan and composed by C. Ramchandra, sung by Lata and Chitalkar (none other than C. Ramchandra himself), picturized upon the great bollywood comedian Bhagwan Dada and Geeta Bali.
- Chaahe Koi Khush Ho Chaahe Gaaliyan Hazaar De (Taxi Driver – 1954) : A frolicsome song filmed on Dev Anand, Johnny Walker and others. Penned by Saahir Ludhiyanvi embedding his Phaakamasti spirit in the lyrics and composed by R.D. Burman, this song has been given voice by Mohammed Rafi.
- Babu Samjho Ishaare, Horn Pukaare, Pum Pum Pum (Chalti Ka Naam Gaadi – 1958) : Real life brothers, Ashok Kumar, Kishore Kumar and Anoop Kumar have hilariously presented this song on the screen in the voices of Kishore himself and Manna Dey. S.D. Burman has composed Majrooh’s lyric. The song has been picturized in the car of a very old model and is just too good.
- Aake Seedhi Lagi Dil Pe Jaise Katariya (Half Ticket – 1962) : A popular song of Kishore Kumar, the actor as well as the singer on which legendary villain Pran has also delivered a hilarious performance with him. Kishore Kumar is not only in the disguise of a female in this song but he has sung also in female voice only for himself (while singing in his natural voice for Pran). Shailendra has penned it and Salil Chowdhury has composed it.
- Khali Dabba Khali Bottle Le Le Mere Yaar (Neel Kamal – 1968) : Manna Dey sings this comedy song for Mahmood which has been penned by Sahir and composed by Ravi.
- Ladki Cycle Wali (Pati Patni Aur Woh -1978) : Sanjeev Kumar and Vidya Sinha present a very entertaining teasing-cum-romantic interaction in the marriage of their friends’ through this duet sung by Mahendra Kapoor and Asha Bhonsle. Ravindra Jain has composed the lyric of Anand Bakshi.
- Jo Sochen, Jo Chaahen Woh Kar Ke Dikha Den (Do Aur Do Paanch – 1980) : Kishore Kumar’s comedy song penned by Anjaan and composed by Rajesh Roshan has been picturized on Shashi Kapoor and Amitabh Bachchan.
- Hamen Kale Hain To Kya Hua Dilwale Hain (Gumnaam – 1965) : A great comedy song picturized on Mahmood and Helen in a dream sequence (of Mahmood). Sung by Rafi, composed by Shankar-Jaikishan and penned by Shailendra.
- Aaiye, Aapko Main Apne Bangle Ki Sair Karaoon (Joru Ka Ghulam – 1972) : Rajesh Khanna performs great comedy in this song in this very good comedy movie. Kishore Kumar sings the song written by Anand Bakshi and composed by Kalyan Ji Anand Ji.
- Pag Ghunghroo Baandh Meera Naachi Thi (Namak Halaal – 1982) : Amitabh Bachchan’s hilarious comedy in this song wins the hearts of the audience. Lyric has been written by Anjaan for the composition is of Bappi Lahiri and Kishore Kumar has sung it.
- Hum The Woh Thi Aur Sama Rangeen Samajh Gaye Na (Chalti Ka Naam Gaadi – 1958) : Kishore Kumar and Anoop Kumar generate heartfelt laughters through this song which has been sung by Kishore Kumar and Ashok Kumar (giving voice for Anoop Kumar). Credits of lyric and composition go to Majrooh and Sachin Da (S.D. Burman).
- Samjho, Ho Hi Gaya (Lage Raho Munna Bhai -2006) : I have included it because I personally like this song very much because of the amusement it provides me through the comic performances of Sanjay Dutt and Arshad Warsi. Sanjay Dutt and Arshad Warsi have themselves sung this song with Vinod Rathod which has been penned by Swanand Kirkire and composed by Shantanu Moitra.
- Jaa, Jaldi Bhaag Jaa, Nahin Baba Nahin (Desh Premi – 1982) : This is a song penned by Anand Bakshi, composed by Laxmikant Pyarelal and sung by Kishore Kumar with his son Amit Kumar. The performances of fake inspector, Amitabh Bachchan and real inspector, Naveen Nischal are able to make the audience laugh for sure.
- Jai Jai Shiv Shankar (Aapki Kasam – 1974) : Hilarious and immensely popular Kishore-Lata duet, penned by Anand Bakshi, composed by R.D. Burman and performed in the most entertaining way by Rajesh Khanna and Mumtaz.
- Khullamkhulla Pyar Karenge Hum Dono (Khel Khel Mein – 1975) : This highly popular Rishi-Neetu song is a duet of Kishore and Asha, penned by Gulshan Bawra and composed by Pancham Da (R.D. Burman). The real life (later) pair of Rishi-Neetu looks so sweet and fresh in this song that the audience just falls in love with them; laughing at their activities, of course !
- Khai Ke Paan Banaras Wala (Don – 1978) : Amitabh Bachchan’s great comedy song, sung by Kishore Kumar which has been penned by Anjaan and composed by Kalyanji-Anandji.
- Meri Marzi (Gambler – 1995) : Govinda generates hearty laughter through his performance on this song sung by Devang Patel. Lyric is of Dev Kohli and music is of Anu Malik.
- Ande Ka Funda (Jodi No. 1 – 2001) : I personally like this comedy song picturized on Sanjay Dutt and Govinda. Lyric and voice are of Prateek Joseph and composition is of Anand Raj Anand.
- Excuse Me, Kya Re (Style – 2001) : A comedy song which is nothing short of a laugh-riot and which was a favourite of my little daughter when this movie was released. Saahil Khan and Sharma Joshi have generated truckloads of laughs alongwith some female characters in this song which has been sung by Nitin Raikwar and Nisha. Penned by Nitin Raikwar only, this song has been composed by Sanjeev-Darshan.
- Ramdulari Maike Gayi (Meri Biwi Ki Shaadi – 1979) : A very amusing song picturized on comedian Ashok Saraf who expresses his sentiments after his wife Ramdulari has gone to her parental home, leaving him alone. Usha Khanna has composed the lyric of Asad Bhopali which has been sung by Suresh Wadkar.
- Teri Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi (Suhaag – 1979) : An immensely popular comedy song picturized on Amitabh Bachchan, Shashi Kapoor and Parveen Babi. Rafi, Asha and Shailendra Singh have given their voices for this song penned by Anand Bakshi and composed by Laxmikant Pyarelal. In this song Shashi Kapoor pursues Amitabh to marry Parveen Babi while Amitabh shows fake reluctance for marriage.
- Sunoji Dulhan, Ik Baat Sunoji (Hum Saath Saath Hain – 1999) : It’s been a very very favourite song of myself, my wife and my little daughter. Newly wed daughter-in-law of the family, Tabu is given the introduction of individual family members through stanzas of this song which are, in fact, parodies of old songs. Ajit Vachchhani and Himani Shivpuri, being the maternal uncle and aunt of the groom, Mohnish Behl and his siblngs, sing as anchors of the dance-drama presented before the whole family as the audience whereas Saif Ali Khan and Karisma Kapoor perform the imitations of the individual family members. Ramlaxman has composed the lyric of Raj Kiran which has been sung by Kavita Krishnamurthy, Pratima Rao, Roop Kumar Rathod, Sonu Nigam and Udit Narayan. It not only amuses and tickles but also reminds the importance of family bonds.
Finally, a very favourite comedy song of myself which I missed above – Ab Chahe Kisi Se Pyar Karo, Inko Vote Do (Aansoo Bann Gaye Phool – 1969) which is a treat to listen and more to see on the screen with the laughter-generating performance of Deb Mukherjee on the voice of Kishore Kumar. Laxmikant Pyarelal composed the lyric of Taj Bhopali.
© Copyrights reserved