In Mahesh Bhatt’s movie – Daddy (1991), there is a dialogue which has always appealed to me – ‘Zindagi Yaadon Ke Siva Aur Hai Hi Kya ?‘ (What’s a life sans memories ?). Yes, memories are not everything but a lot in human life. We relive the good and bad things several times after they are over. And similarly we miss the beloved ones when they are not with us.
Bollywood has uncountable number of songs dedicated to missing or remembering someone or reminding someone of something happened in the past or the life memories in general. I have selected a handful out of them for this review on the basis of my subjective choice. I have not included in it certain songs which have already been included in my other reviews based on Bollywood songs. I have also not included the songs which I am planning to include in my review on nature related songs.
1. Hui Aankh Nam Aur Ye Dil Muskaraaya Ki Saathi Koi Bhoola Yaad Aaya (Saathi -1991) : My numero uno memory song which is able to make the listener’s eyes wet. It’s been sung by Anuradha Paudwal and chorus in the music direction of Bhushan Dua and picturized on Varsha Usgaonkar (singing for Mohsin Khan) and others. The sentimental lyric is of Nawaab Aarzoo.
2. Karoge Yaad To Har Baat Yaad Aayegi (Bazaar – 1982) : Bhupinder’s heart-piercing song composed by Khayaam whose lyric of high literary quality has been penned by Mirza Shauq. This immortal song has been picturized on Nasiruddin Shah and Smita Patil.
3. Jhoomti Chali Hawa Yaad Aa Gaya Koi (Sangeet Samrat Taansen – 1962) : Mukesh’s classic remembrance song picturized on Bharat Bhooshan (singing for Anita Guha). S.N. Tripathi has composed the lyric of Shailendra.
4. Lo Aa Gayi Unki Yaad, Woh Nahi Aaaye (Do Badan – 1966) : Lata’s great memory song picturized on Asha Parekh (missing Manoj Kumar through it), penned by Shakeel Badayuni and composed by Ravi.
5. Bedardi Baalma Tujhko Mera Mann Yaad Karta Hai (Aarzoo – 1965) : Lata’s great remembrance song picturized on Saadhana (remembering Rajendra Kumar). This song is very close to my heart and I feel a throbbing in my heart whenever I listen to it. Shankar-Jaikishan has composed the melodious tune for the highly admirable lyric penned by Hasrat Jaipuri.
6. Yaad Mein Teri Jaag Jaag Ke Hum Raat Bhar Karvaten Badalte Hain (Mere Mehboob – 1963) : A classic duet of Rafi and Lata picturized on Rajendra Kumar and Saadhana. Naushad composed the emotionally appealing lyric of Shakeel Badayuni.
7. Yaad Kiya Dil Ne Kahaan Ho Tum (Patita – 1953) : An immortal Hemant Kumar-Lata Mangeshkar duet penned by Hasrat Jaipuri and composed by Shankar-Jaikishan. Dev Anand and Usha Kiran performed on the screen on this song.
8. Phir Wohi Shaam, Wohi Gham, Wohi Tanhaai Hai (Jahan Ara – 1964) : Talat Mahmood’s immortal memory song picturized on Bharat Bhooshan (missing Mala Sinha). This great song has been written by Rajinder Krishan and composed by Madan Mohan.
9. Tumhen Yaad Karte Karte Jaayegi Rainn Saari (Aamrapaali – 1966) : Lata’s classic remembrance song picturized on Vyjayanthimala (remembering Sunil Dutt), authored by Shailendra and composed by Shankar Jaikishan.
10. Bachpan Ki Mohabbat Ko Dil Se Na Juda Karna (Baiju Bawra – 1952) : A touching song of Lata underscoring the tender memories of childhood love. Meena Kumari has performed on it. Naushad has composed the lyric of Shakeel Badayuni.
11. Aaya Hai Mujhe Phir Yaad Woh Zaalim Guzra Zamaana Bachpan Ka (Devar – 1966) : A very sentimental song filled with the childhood memories of the sweetheart. It’s been sung by Mukesh for Dharmendra (remembering the time spent with Sharmila Tagore in childhood). Roshan has composed the lyric of Anand Bakshi.
12. Abke Baras Bhej Bhaiya Ko Baabul, Saawan Mein Leejo Bulaay Re (Bandini – 1963) : A highly emotional song related to the memories of a married (Indian) girl who is willing to meet his parents and requests her father to send her brother to take her to the parental house in the coming rainy season. Nutan has performed brilliantly on Asha’s voice (actually she is a prisoner in the movie while singing this song). This great song has been authored by Shailendra and composed by Sachin Da (S.D. Burman).
13. Chanda Re, Mere Bhaiya Se Kehna Behna Yaad Kare (Chambal Ki Kasam – 1979) : A very good song sung by a sister missing her brother and sending message to him through the moon. Lata ha sung it for Farida Jalaal. Khayyam has composed the lyric of Saahir Ludhiyanvi.
14. Saat Samundar Paar Se Gudiyon Ke Baazaar Se (Taqdeer – 1967) : A very touching song penned by Anand Bakshi and composed by Laxmikant Pyarelal. It has been sung by Lata and others for the child artists in the movie.
15. Aa Laut Ke Aa Ja Mere Meet Tujhe Mere Geet Bulaate Hain (Rani Roopmati – 1957) : A memorable song sung by Lata and Mukesh separately for Nirupa Roy and Bharat Bhooshan respectively in the movie. S.N. Tripathi has composed the lyric of Bharat Vyas.
16 Bhooli Hui Yaadon, Mujhe Itna Na Sataao (Sanjog – 1961) : Mukesh’s classic sad song whose singer requests his memories not to trouble him more. It’s been penned by Rajinder Krishan, composed by Madan Mohan and picturized on Pradeep Kumar.
17. Woh Bhooli Daastaan Lo Phir Yaad Aa Gayi (Sanjog – 1961) : Lata’s gem from the same movie, picturized on Anita Guha. Lyricist and composer are also the same.
18. Phir Wo Bhooli Si Yaad Aayi Hai (Begaana – 1963) : A touching memory song of Rafi, picturized on Sailesh Kumar, penned by Shailendra and composed by Sapan Jagmohan.
19. Woh Jab Yaad Aaye Bahut Yaad Aaye (Parasmani – 1963) : A tear-jerking remebrance duet of Lata and Rafi, picturized on Geetanjali and Mahipal. Laxmikant Pyarelal prepared the highly admirable composition in their debut movie as the music directors whereas the highly emotional lyric got authored by Farooq Qaisar.
20. Behti Hawa Sa Tha Woh (3 Idiots – 2009) : A modern memory song which is very close to my heart. Rancho (Aamir Khan)’s friends (R. Madhavan and Sharman Joshi) remember him emotionally while moving in search of him years later. This song is played with the titles of the movie and it has a gradual impact on the listener. Shantanu Moitra has composed the beautiful lyric of Swanand Kirkire and Shaan has sung it.
In addition to the above, the following remembrance songs are also very dear to me :
1. Bichaade Huye Pardesi, Ek Baar To Aa Ja Tu (Barsaat – 1949) : Lata’s classic song picturized on Nargis (remembering Raj Kapoor) which has been penned by Hasrat Jaipuri and composed by Shankar Jaikishan.
2. Mera Dil Ye Pukaare Aa Ja (Nagin – 1954) : Lata’s chartbuster remembrance song picturized on Vyjayanthimala who misses Pradeep Kumar through it. Hemant Kumar has composed the lyric of Rajender Krishan.
3. Phir Mujhe Deeda-e-Tar Yaad Yaa (Mirza Ghalib – 1954) : This song is actually a touching Ghazal penned by legendary Shaayar Mirza Ghalib which is laced with Urdu words with deep meanings embedded therein. Sung by Talat Mahmood and composed by Ghulam Mohammed.
4. Beqaraar Hai Koi, Aa Mere Dildaar Aa (Shama Parwana – 1954) : A very beautiful and melodious memory song in which both the members of the separated couple miss each other and give a call to each other to come and meet. Sung by Rafi and Suraiya, this touching song has been penned by Qamar Jalalabaadi and composed by Husnlaal Bhagatraam.
5. Tum Rooth Ke Mat Jaana (Phagun – 1958) : A very touching remembrance song of separated lovers couple which contains an ocean of emotion in just a few lines. I love to listen to it again and again. It’s been sung by Mohammed Rafi Asha Bhosle and performed by Bharat Bhooshan and Madhubala on the screen. O.P. Nayyar has composed the lyric of Qamar Jalalabaadi.
6. Tumhen Yaad Hoga Kabhi Hum Mile The (Satta Bazaar – 1959) : A Hemant Kumar-Lata duet of remembrance sung by separated love-birds which has been picturized on Shyam and Vijaya Chaudhary. It’s been written by Gulshan Bawra and composed by Kalyanji Anandji.
7. Tere Pyar Ko Is Tarah Se Bhulana (Maine Jeena Seekh Liya – 1959) : Mukesh’s memorable song sung for Ravindra Kapoor (singing for Ameeta) whose tune has been composed by Roshan. Lyricist is Raahil Gorakhpuri.
8. Saaranga Teri Yaad Mein Nain Huye Bechain (Saranga – 1960) : Mukesh’s immortal song picturized on Sudesh Kumar (singing for Jayshree Gadkar who is in the title role of the heroine). Sardaar Malik (Anu Malik’s father) has composed the lyric of Bharat Vyas.
9. Kho Gaya Hai Mera Pyar (Hariyali Aur Rasta – 1962) : A song which has gone deep into my heart and makes me shed tears every time listen to it. It’s a rare gem of Mahendra Kapoor who has sung it for Manoj Kumar (who remembers his lost love, Mala Sinha). Shankar Jaikishan have composed the lyric of Hasrat Jaipuri.
10. Yaad Na Jaaye Beete Dino Ki (Dil Ek Mandir – 1963) : Rafi sings this memory song for Rajendra Kumar whose lyric has been penned by Shailendra and the tune has been made by Shankar-Jaikishan.
11. Koi Lauta De Mere Beete Huye Din (Door Gagan Ki Chhaon Mein – 1964) : Kishore Kumar’s classic sad song in which he misses the bygone happy days of his life and longs for their return. Allrounder Kishore Da has done everything (writing, composing, singing and acting) himself.
12. Hum Chhod Chale Hain Mehfil Ko, Yaad Aaye Kabhi To Matt Rona (Jee Chaahta Hai – 1964) : Mukesh’s memorable song picturized on Joy Mukherjee (singing for Rajshree) which was penned by Hasrat Jaipuri and composed by Kalyanji Anandji.
13. Dil Ne Phir Yaad Kiya Barq Si Lehraai Hai (Dil Ne Phir Yaad Kiya – 1966) : A unique memory song which is sung by all the three characters involved (Dharmendra, Nutan and Rehman) jointly while sitting in a boat. Sonik Omi have composed the beautiful lyric of G.L. Rawal and Rafi, Suman Kalyanpur and Mukesh have given their voices for it.
14. Jab Yaad Kisi Ki Aati Hai (Jab Yaad Kisi Ki Aati Hai – 1967) : Mala Sinha performs on ‘s voice (remembering ) Dharmendra whereas Madan Mohan has composed Raja Mehndi Ali Khan’s lyric.
15. Jab Jab Bahaar Aai Aur Phool Muskuraye, Mujhe Tum Yaad Aaye (Taqdeer – 1967) : It’s a very touching song which comes twice in the movie – first when the family is united and thereafter when the father is no longer with the mother and the children. Penned by Anand Bakshi and composed by Laxmikant Pyarelal, this song has been sung once by Mahendra Kapoor, Usha Mangeshkar and Usha Usha Timothy for the whole family in the movie (Bharat Bhushan, Shalini and children) and once by Lata Mangeshkar for Farida Jalaal.
16. Hui Shaam Unka Khayaal Aa Gaya (Mere Humdum Mere Dost – 1968) : Rafi’s classic memory song for Dharmendra which I myself love to sing. Laxmikant Pyarelal have composed Majrooh Sultanipuri’s lyric.
17. Jinhen Hum Bhoolna Chaahen Wo Aksar Yaad Aate Hain (Aabroo – 1968) : Mukesh’s classic song sung for Deepak Kumar (singing for Vimi) whose lyric has been penned by G.S. Rawal and composed by Sonik Omi.
18. Tujhko Pukaare Mera Pyar (Neel Kamal – 1968) : Rafi’s classic memory song picturized on Raaj Kumar (singing for Waheeda Rehman). Ravi has composed Saahir’s lyric.
19. Tum Mujhe Yun Bhula Na Paaoge (Pagla Kahin Ka – 1970) : Rafi’s classic song sung for Shammi Kapoor (also sung by Lata for Asha Parekh). Shankar Jaikishan has composed the lyric of Hasrat Jaipuri.
20. Hai Tere Saath Meri Wafa, Main Nahi To Kya (Hindustan Ki Kasam – 1973) : A sweetheart (Priya Rajvansh) of the soldier (Raaj Kumar) on war-front remembers him and reminds him through this song of Lata that her love is always with him even if she is not there physically. Kaifi Aazmi’s great lyric has been composed melodiously by Madan Mohan.
21. Yaadon Ki Baaraat Nikli Hai Aaj Dil Ke Dwaare (Yaadon Ki Baaraat – 1973) : Superhit title song of the superhit movie which was first picturized on child artists and their father and later on Dharmendra, Vijay Arora and Tariq. Rafi and Kishore have given their voices in two different versions of this song which has been composed by none other than Pancham Da (R.D. Burman) with the lyric being penned by Majrooh.
22. Aaye Tum Yaad Mujhe, Gaane Lagi Har Dhadkan (Mili – 1975) : Kishore Kumar’s great memory song picturized on Amitabh Bachchan (singing for Jaya Bhaduri). S.D. Burman has composed Yogesh’s lyric containing high literary value.
23. Yaad Aa Rahi Hai, Teri Yaad Aa Rahi Hai (Love Story – 1981) : A chartbuster song of its time when this teenybopper (superhit) love story was released. Lata and Amit Kumar have given voices for debutantes Vijayeta and Kumar Gaurav. Anand Bakshi’s lyric has been composed by R.D. Burman.
24. Pichhli Yaad Bhula Do (Mehndi – 1982) : Kishore Kumar’s highly underrated memory song which is very close to my heart. It’s been authored by Varma Malik, composed by Khayyam and picturized on Raj Babbar (addressing Ranjeeta through it).
25. Kahaaniyaan Sunaati Hai Pawan Aati Jaati (Rajput – 1982) : A very touching memory song which always proves tear-jerking for me as a listener. It’s picturized on Dharmendra whose sweetheart – Hema Malini is now married to Rajesh Khanna and he narrates the story of their love to her son (whose father is none other than himself only) through this song. Laxmikant Pyarelal have composed Anand Bakshi’s lyric and Rafi has given his voice.
26. Jab Hum Jawaan Honge Jaane Kahaan Honge (Betaab – 1983) : A unique memory song which visualizes a situation (of separation) for future when the couple will miss each other. Sunny Deol and Amrita Singh have performed (in their debut movie) on the voices of Shabbir Kumar and Lata. R.D. Burman has composed Anand Bakshi’s lyric.
27. Mujhe Tum Yaad Karna Aur Mujhko Yaad Aana Tum (Mashaal – 1984) : A contrastingly hilarious song which the couple sing before getting willingly separated for a brief period. Kishore and Lata have sung it for Anil Kapoor and Rati Agnihotri. Javed Akhtar’s lyric has been composed by Lata’s younger brother – Hridaynath Mangeshkar.
28. Aane Waala Kal Ek Sapna Hai, Guzra Hua Kal Bas Apna Hai (Phir Teri Kahaani Yaad Aayi – 1993) : Well, as I have tried to say at the start of this review, the tomorrow is only a dream and the bygone period is only ours (because it’s preserved through memories). This beautiful song asserts this fact only. Qateel Shifai has authored this Shaayarana lyric which has been composed by Anu Malik and sung by Kumar Sanu for Rahul Roy (sharing screen with Pooja Bhatt).
29. Jo Bhi Kasmein Khaai Theen Humne (Raaz – 2002) : A touching song which I love to sing myself. Udit Narayan and Alka Yagnik have sung it Dino Morea and Bipasha Basu. Nadeem Shravan have composed the melodious tune for Sameer’s lyric.
30. Maari Koyal Ne Aisi Kook, Maahiya Mainu Yaad Aa Gaya (The Hero – 2003) : Jaspinder Narula and Shardul Sikandar have sung this touching song which proves to be a tear-jerker for me every time I listen to it. It’s been penned by Javed Akhtar and composed by Uttam Singh. Preity Zinta misses her lost beau Sunny Deol through this song.
31. Bheed Mein, Tanhaai Mein (Tumsa Nahin Dekha – 2004) : A beautiful song penned by Sameer and composed by Nadeem Shravan. Shreya Ghoshal and Udit Narayan have sung it for Diya Mirza and Emraan Haashmi.
I conclude my review with a non-filmy song of Talat Mahmood which is actually a Ghazal authored by Azeem Shaayar – Janaab Jaanisaar Akhtar (Javed Akhtar’s father) and composed by Khayyam – Kaun Kehta Hai Tujhe Maine Bhula Rakha Hai, Teri Yaadon Ko Kaleje Se Laga Rakha Hai (who says I have forgotten you, I have kept your memories close to my heart).
© Copyrights reserved