With the arrival of the Independence Day (and the Republic Day) every year, we start listening to the patriotic songs most of which belong to the movies only. Several memorable patriotic songs or the songs related to the praise or the rememberance of the motherland have been created by the music composers of Bollywood. I am sharing some of them here as per my personal choice as well as my knowledge.
Before I start listing out, let me mention Lata Mangeshkar’s immortal song – Aye Mere Watan Ke Logon, Tum Aankh Mein Bhar Lo Paani, penned by Kavi Pradeep and composed by C. Ramachandra which is a tear-jerker. It is a non-filmi song and should be listened to feel the sacrifices of our uniform-clad brethren standing on the frontiers of our nation. Kavi Pradeep had penned it after seeing the aftermath of the 1962 war with China.
I have not included the immortal songs – Sarfaroshi Ki Tamanna Ab Hamaare Dil Mein Hai, Mera Rang De Basanti Chola and Pagadi Sambhaal Jatta because they have been included in many patriotic movies (especially those based on the life of Bhagat Singh). These immortal songs were written by the Indian martyrs themselves. I have also not included a very favourite song in this list – Seemayen Bulaayen Tujhe Chal Raahi (LOC – Kargil – 2003) because I have already included it in my review of journey songs.
Following is the list of my top ten patriotic songs from the Hindi movies :
1. Yun Neend Se Woh Jaan-e-Chaman Jaag Uthi Hai (Dard Ka Rishta – 1982) : It’s my most favourite patriotic song picturized on Sunil Dutt who plays an NRI in the movie and missing his motherland very much while being abroad. The touching lyrics has come from the pen of Anand Bakshi and composition is of R.D. Burman. It has been sung by Kishore but Lata has also given voice to it separately.
2. Chitthi Aai Hai, Watan Se Chitthi Aai Hai (Naam – 1986) : A highly popular song sung by Pankaj Ud-haas, picturized on Sanjay Dutt. Penned by Anand Bakshi and composed by Lakshmikant Pyarelal, this song is virtually a tear-jerker.
3. O Door Se Aane Waale Bata Kis Haal Mein Hai Yaarane Watan (Barkha Bahaar – 1973) : An underrated song in the voices of Mahendra Kapoor and Manhar Ud-haas in which the prisoners who are away from their motherland, remember it with pain, melancholy and a hope to revisit it. Penned by Majrooh Sultaanpuri and composed by Laxmikant Pyarelal, this song has been picturized on many junior artists in the beginning of this movie.
4. Aye Mere Pyare Watan, Aye Mere Bichhade Chaman, Tujhpe Dil Qurbaan (Kaabuliwaala – 1961) : This is one of the best songs of Mohammed Rafi. The touching lyrics have come from the pen of Prem Dhawan whereas Salil Chowdhary has composed it and W.M. Khan has performed on it as the singer (Balraaj Saahni being the listener).
5. Aaj Himaalay Ki Choti Se Phir Humne Lalkaara Hai (Kismet – 1943) : Written in the wake of the second world war, this highly popular patriotic song has been penned by Kavi Pradeep and composed by Anil Biswaas. Khan Mastaana and Ameer Baai Karnataki have sung it.
6. Hum Laaye Hain Toofan Se Kashti Nikaal Ke (Jagriti – 1954) : It’s a great song from a great movie, being the message of the freedom-fighters to the young generation breathing in the free air. Kavi Pradeep has penned it, Hemant Kumar has composed it and Mohammed Rafi has sung it for Abhi Bhattacharya.
7. Insaaf Ki Dagar Pe Bachchon Dikhaao Chal Ke (Ganga Jamuna – 1961) : Again a song for the young ones, sung by a teacher (I don’t know the name of the actor) in the movie. Hemant Kumar has sung it under the music direction of Naushad with the memorable lyric coming from the pen of Shakeel Badayuni.
8. Kar Chale Hum Fida Jaan-O-Tan Saathiyo (Haqeeqat – 1964) : An immortal song in Rafi’s voice (coming at the end of the movie) whose touching lyric is the creation of the great Shaayar Janaab Kaifi Aazmi and composition is of Madan Mohan.
9. Aye Watan Aye Watan Humko Teri Kasam (Shaheed – 1965) : A memorable song from the classic movie made on the life of Bhagat Singh, sung by Rafi and chorus, picturized on Manoj Kumar and others and penned and composed by Prem Dhawan.
10. Desnu Challo, Desh Maangta Hai Qurbaaniyaan (23rd March, 1931-Shaheed – 2002) : A brilliant patriotic song which is very close to my heart. It has been penned by Dev Kohli and composed by Anand Raj Anand. It has been sung by Hans Raj Hans and chorus and Imraan Khan has brilliantly performed on it as Shaheed Kartaar Singh Sarabha.
In addition to the above top 10, the following patriotic songs are also very much dear to me :
1. Watan Ki Raaf Mein Watan Ke Naujawaan Shaheed Hon (Shaheed – 1948) : A touching patriotic song sung by Rafi for Dilip Kumar in the movie whose tune has been composed by Ghulam Hyder for the lyric of Raja Mehndi Ali Khan.
2. Kadam Kadam Badhaaye Ja, Khushi Ke Geet Gaaye Ja, Yeh Zidagi Hai Kaum Ki, Tu Kaum Pe Lutaaye Ja (Samaadhi – 1950) : A immensely beautiful being a call for the soldiers on the frontier to move ahead and sacrifice themselves for the nation. Rajinder Krishan has penned this great song which has been composed by C. Ramachandra and sung also by himself only (under the name Chitalkar). It has been picturized on Ashok Kumar and others.
3. Hamaara Pyara Hindustan (Jhaansi Ki Rani – 1953) : A song dedicated to the struggles and sacrifices of the martyrs of the freedom movement that took place in 1857, it has been penned by Pandit Radheshyam, composed by Vasant Desai, sung by Rafi and chorus and picturized on Mehtaab (playing the title role of the great queen of Jhaansi in the movie) and others.
4. Aao Bachchon Tumhen Dikhaayen Jhaanki Hindustan Ki (Jagriti – 1954) : Penned and sung by Kavi Pradeep, composed by Hemant Kumar, and picturized on Abhi Bhattacharya and child artists, this song is a treat to listen to as well as watch because it shows and tells about the differents parts of India.
5. Yeh Desh Hai Veer Jawaano Ka, Albelon Ka, Mastaano Ka (Naya Daur – 1957) : An immensely popular patriotic song of Rafi, the singer (with Balbir) as well as Dilip Kumar, the actor (with Ajeet and others). O.P. Nayyar has composed tune for the lyric of Saahir Ludhiyanvi. It is a song for the popular Bhangra dance of Punjab.
6. Bigul Baj Raha Aazaadi Ka(Talaaq – 1958) : A long forgotten but excellent song sung by Manna Dey and chorus and picturized on Rajendra Kumar and others. C. Ramachandra has composed the lyric of Kavi Pradeep. It bewares the watchdogs of the nation from the traitors hidden inside.
7. Ye Maati Sabhi Ki Kahaani Kahegi (Navrang – 1959) : This is a brilliant patriotic song whose lyrics has been penned by Bharat Vyas for the composition of C. Ramachandra and Mahendra Kapoor has sung it excellently with Mahipal performing on it with equal excellence.
8. Chhodo Kal Ki Baatein, Kal Ki Baat Puraani (Hum Hindustani – 1960) : An evergreen patriotic song picturized on Sunil Dutt, showing as the progress being made by India post-independence. Penned by Prem Dhawan, composed by Usha Khanna and sung by Mukesh and chorus, this song gives the message of leaving the past behind and moving ahead.
9. Hothon Pe Sachaai Rehti Hai, Jahaan Dil Mein Safaai Rehti Hai (Jis Desh Mein Ganga Behti Hai – 1960) : A great praising the spirit of truthfulness, innocence and cleanliness in hearts prevailing in India. Raj Kapoor has performed on the voice of Mukesh. Shankar Jaikishan have composed the extra-ordinary lyric of Shailendra.
10. Nanha Munna Raahi Hoon, Desh Ka Sipaahi Hoon (Son of India – 1962) : A very popular song sung by Shaanti Mathur and chorus and picturized on Master Saajid. Naushad has composed the lyric of Shakeel Badayuni.
11. Ab Koi Gulshan Na Ujde, Ab Watan Aazaad Hai (Mujhe Jeene Do – 1963) : A very touching patriotic song sung by Rafi, penned by Saahir, composed by Jaidev and picturized on Sunil Dutt, Waheeda Rehman and others.
12. Apni Aazaadi Ko Hum Hargiz Mita Sakte Nahin (Leader – 1964) : A popular patriotic song picturized on Dilip Kumar, Vyjantimala and others.It’s been penned by Shakeel Badayuni, composed by Naushad and sung by Rafi and chorus.
13. Jahaan Daal Daal Par Sone Ki Chidiya Karti Hai Basera, Woh Bhaarat Desh Hai Mera (Sikander-e-Aazam – 1965) : A well known patriotic song sung by Rafi and chorus, penned by Rajinder Krishan, composed by Hansraj Behl and picturized gorgeously on Prem Naath, Prem Chopra and others. This tells about India, Indian culture and Indian values.
14. Na Koi Raha Hai, Na Koi Rahega (Johar Mehmood in Goa – 1965) : It’s a song telling that no rule is permanent and no invader (or invading race) should consider himself as immortal and sooner or later, the enslaved ones will attain freedom. This movie was made on the independence movement of Goa (its original title is Goa only with the names of the heroes attached to it just to attract their admirers). This admirably worded song has come from the pen of Qamar Jalaalabaadi and it’s been composed by Kalyanji Anandji. Mukesh and Usha Khanna have sung it for I.S. Johar and Sonia Saahni. The beautiful paintings of warriors shown during the song add value to watching of this song.
15. Mere Desh Ki Dharti Sona Ugle Ugle Heere Moti (Upkar – 1967) : National award winning lyric of this immensely popular song was penned by Gulshan Bawra to be composed by Kalyanji Anandji and sung by Mahendra Kapoor for Manoj Kumar in the movie.
16. Yeh Dharti Hindustan Ki (Duniya – 1968) : The lyric of this song has come from the great Hindi poet – Gopal Das Neeraj, Shankar Jaikishan have composed it and Asha Bhonsle has sung it for Vyjayantimala in the movie.
17. Hai Preet Jahaan Ki Reet Sada, Main Geet Wahaan Ke Gaata Hoon (Purab Aur Pachhim (1970) : Again a gem from in the voice of Mahendra Kapoor for Manoj Kumar which Indeewar has penned for the tune composed by Kalyanji Anandji only.
18. Mere Des Mein Pawan Chale Purvaai (Jigri Dost – 1969) : A jaunty patriotic song which is in fact closer to nature than the patriotic sentiments. Rafi has sung it for Jeetendra and Laxmikant Pyarelal have composed the lyric of Anand Bakshi.
19. Taaqat Watan Ki Humse Hai, Himmat Watan Ki Humse Hai (Prem Pujari – 1970) : A patriotic song penned by famous Hindi poet – Gopal Das Neeraj, sung by Rafi with Manna De and others, picturized on Dev Anand and others and composed by Sachin Dev Burman.
20. Ga Lo Muskura Lo, Mehfilen Saja Lo (Lalkaar – 1972) : A patriotic song which reminds the soldiers that the time to end the merrymaking and enjoyment has come to an end and they have to move to the frontiers to fight the enemy. It has been sung by Rafi, picturized on Dharmendra, penned by Hasrat Jaipuri and composed by Kalyanji Anandji.
21. Dekho Veer Jawano Apne Khoon Pe Yeh Ilzaam Na Aaye (Aakraman – 1975) : Kishore Kumar has sung and (guest actor in the movie) Rajesh Khanna has performed on this patriotic song penned by Anand Bakshi and composed by Laxmikant Pyarelal.
22. Yaheen Pe Humko Jeena Hi, Yaheen Pe Humko Marna Hai (Rajput – 1982) : A patriotic song presented in a different context in the movie. It’s been penned by Anand Bakshi, composed by Laxmikant Pyarelal, sung by Manhar Ud-aas, Mahendra Kapoor. Hemlata and chorus and picturized on Dharmendra, Vinod Khanna, Ranjeeta, Tina Munim etc.
23. Har Karam Apna Karenge, Aye Watan Tere Liye (Karma – 1986) : It’s a patriotic song penned by Anand Bakshi and composed by Laxmikant Pyarelal. It’s been sung by Kavita Krishnamurthy, Mohammed Aziz, Dilip Kumar and chorus and picturized on Nutan, Dilip Kumar and others.
24. Ghar Aa Ja Pardesi Tera Des Bulaaye Re (Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge – 1995) : A very touching song in which the migrant singer gets the call of his motherland. In the movie, the different stanzas of this song run with different scenes. This is an underrated song of this movie whose music had got immensely popular due to other songs. Jatin Lalit have composed the lyrics of Anand Bakshi and Pamela Chopra (the wife of the producer – Yash Chopra and the mother of the director – Aditya Chopra) has sung it with Manpreet Kaur and others.
25. Des Mere Des Mere, Meri Jaan Hai Tu (The Legend of Bhagat Singh – 2002) : This patriotic song has been penned by Sameer, composed by A.R. Rehman, sung by A.R. Rehman, Sukhwinder Singh and others and picturized on Ajay Devgan, Sushant Singh and others.
26. Aisa Des Hai Mera (Veer-Zaara – 2004) : This song allows the listener to roam about India with the words woven in the lyrics. It’s a treat to watch on the screen. Picturized on Shah Rukh Khan (singing to Preity Zinta, telling her about India, his country), this song has been written by Jaaved Akhtar for the tune composed by Late Madan Mohan many decades prior to making of this movie. Lata Mangeshkar, Udit Naarayan, Pritha Majundaar, Lata Gurdaas Maan etc. have given their voices for this song.
27. Yeh Jo Des Hai Tera (Swades – 2004) : A very sentimental song with beautiful lyrics of Jaaved Akhtar strung in the composition made by A.R. Rehman. A.R. Rehman only has sung it for Shah Rukh Khan on the screen.
28. Mangal Mangal Mangal Mangal (Mangal Pandey – The Rising – 2005) : A song dedicated to the first martyr of the independence struggle of our country – Mangal Pandey. This song is full of enthusiasm and arouses patriotic sentiments in the listeners (and the viewers as well). Sung by Kailash Kher, it’s been picturized on Aamir Khan. A.R. Rehman has composed the lyric of Jaaved Akhtar.
29. Suno Ghaur Se Duniya Waalon, Buri Nazar Na Humpe Daalo, Sabse Aage Honge Hindustani (Dus – Incomplete Movie) : The movie could not be completed due to the untimely demise of the director – Mukul S. Anand but this adrenalin-pumping song is available to listen and to watch also. Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy have composed the lyric of Sameer and Shankar Mahadevan himself with Udit Naarayan, Mahalakshmi Iyer and Dominique Cerejo have sung it. Sanjay Dutt, Salmaan Khan, Shilpa Shetty etc. (with Shankar Mahadevan as well) have performed on it.
In the end, I would like to mention two great patriotic songs. One is of Bankim Chandra Chatterjee which is our national song, i.e., Vande Maataram which has been included in the movie Anand Math (1952) based on his classic novel having the same title only. Lata and chorus have sung it and it has been picturized on Geeta Baali (with Pradeep Kumar, Prithivi Raj Kapoor etc.
The other one is of Allama Iqbaal which is very dear to every Indian, say Hindustani. It’s Saare Jahaan Se Achchha Hindostan Hamaara which has been included in the movie Bhai Behen (1950). Sung by Asha Bhonsle and chorus, it’s been composed by N. Dutta and picturized on Baby Naaz, Baby Daisy and others.
© Copyrights reserved