My most favourite Bollywood songs are mainly of profound nature (not necessarily sad). However Bollywood music mainly boasts of love songs because love stories are the most repeated subject matter and the people’s taste has also been in favour of love songs only. Thousands (may be lacs) of love songs have enriched Bollywood’s treasure of music. I am presenting just a handful of my favouriite Hindi movie songs which are full of romance and love. It’s a subjective list because everyone can prepare his/her own list.
1. Jalte Hain Jiske Liye (Sujata – 1959) : Sachin Dev Burman composed this immortal song which is one of the most popular songs of Talat Mahmood, the great singer with a silken voice. Penned by Majrooh Sultanpuri. Sunil Dutt sings it in the movie for Nutan.
2. Tere Mere Sapne Ab Ek Rang Hain (Guide – 1965) : The touching song of Mohammad Rafi picturized on Dev Anand and Waheeda Rehman. Sachin Da again is the composer and Shailendra is the lyricist.
3. Lag Ja Gale Ki Phir Ye Haseen Raat Ho Na Ho (Woh Kaun Thi – 1964) : Lata’s highly emotional and highly touching immortal song penned by Raja Mehndi Ali Khan and composed by Madan Mohan. It’s picturized on Saadhna and Manoj Kumar.
4. Nainon Mein Badra Chhaye (Mera Saaya – 1966) : I am so fond of this song of Lata that I can listen it continuously for hours. Picturized on Saadhna and Sunil Dutt (who shared a mesmerizing on-screen chemistry). It’s again a joint effort of Raja Mehndi Ali Khan and Madan Mohan. Madan Ji has composed this soul-soothing great song on the basis of the classical Raag – Bhimpalasi.
5. Aankhon Se Jo Utri Hai Dil Mein, Tasveer Hai Ek Anjaane Ki (Phir Wohi Dil Laaya Hoon – 1963) : One of Asha’s best songs, composed by O.P. Nayyar and penned by Majrooh Sultanpuri. Picturized on Asha Parekh and Joy Mukherjee.
6. Beqaraar Karke Hamen Yun Na Jaaiye (Bees Saal Baad – 1962) : It’s a very tender song in the voice of Hemant Kumar who is the composer of this song too. It is picturized on Biswajeet who sings it for Waheeda Rehman. The words written by Shakeel Badayuni are so tender that you just fall in love with them. The love-filled heart of the singing male pours itself out while addressing to the sweetheart.
7. Shaam-E-Bahaar Aayi, Karke Singaar Aayi, Khwabon Ke Haar Laayi (Shama Parwana – 1954) – A highly melodious and ear-soothing song by Suraiya, Mohammad Rafi and chorus. It’s a great example of Urdu poetry written by Majrooh Sultanpuri. The melodious composition is of Husnlal Bhagatram. It’s picturized on Suraiya, Shammi Kapoor and others.
8. Ab To Hai Tumse Har Khushi Apni (Abhimaan – 1973) : My personal favourite from Abhimaan whose all the songs composed by Sachin Dev Burman are timeless classics. This song has been sung by Lata and penned by Majrooh Sultanpuri to be picturized on Jaya Bhaduri. Though this is a female song, I myself sing it for the audience.
9. Hum Jab Simat Ke Aapki Baahon Mein Aa Gaye (Waqt – 1965) : The classic romantic duet of Asha and Mahendra Kapoor picturized on the best on-screen romantic pair of Sunil Dutt and Saadhna (in my opinion). Sahir’s delicate words have been strung in the melodious tune by Ravi. The composition is based on the classical Raag Kalavati.
10. Jaanam Dekh Lo Mit Gayeen Duriyaan (Veer Zaara – 2004) : Late Madan Mohan Ji’s composition utilized by Yash Chopra for Shah Rukh Khan and Preity Zinta in a highly touching situation. The great poetry is the creation of the pen of Javed Akhtar and Udit Narayan has sung it with the intensity of emotion of a true lover.
11. Aapki Nazron Ne Samjha Pyar Ke Kaabil Mujhe (Anpadh – 1962) : The timelss romantic song of Lata picturized on Mala Sinha who sings it for Dharmendra. It’s a lady’s love-filled devotion towards her husband, a sense of gratitude drenched in unconditional love. This again is the magical creation of the Raja Mehndi Ali Khan – Madan Mohan pair.
12. Tu Kahe Agar Jeevan Bhar Main Geet Sunaata Jaaoon, Mann Been Bajaata Jaaoon (Andaz – 1949) : Mukesh’s immortal love song sung by Dilip Kumar for Nargis in the movie. It’s a lyric penned by Majrooh and composed by the legendary music director – Naushad.
13. Jaane Kaisa Hai Mera Deewana, Kabhi Apna Sa Lage Kabhi Begana (Aansoo Bann Gaye Phool – 1969) : My personal favourite romantic duet by Asha and Kishore which fills the heart with romance and romance only. Penned by Govind Moonis and composed by Laxmikant Pyarelal. Picturized on Deb Mukherjee and Alka.
14. Pehli Pehli Baar Mohabbat Ki Hai, Kuchh Na Samajh Mein Aaye Main Kya Karoon (Sirf Tum – 1999) : A highly romantic as well as emotional duet sung by Kumar Sanu and Alka Yagnik which is in the shape of a versely dialogue between the lovers. Sameer has written very touching words and Nadeem Shravan have composed the melodious tune. It’s picturized on Sanjay Kapoor and Priya Gill, the lovers who have submitted their hearts to each other even without seeing each other’s face.
15. Radha Na Bole Na Bole Na Bole Re, Ghoonghat Ke Patt Na Khole Re (Azaad – 1955) : A great lyric by Rajender Krishna, composed by C. Ramchandra, sung by Lata and picturized on Meena Kumari. It’s a song which expresses the love by giving the lovers the metaphor of Lady Radha and Lord Krishna. It’s a song based on Raag Baageshri.
16. Ajnabee Kaun Ho Tum, Jab Se Tumhen Dekha Hai, Saari Duniya Meri Aankhon Mein Simat Aayi Hai (Sweekaar Kiya Maine – 1983) : Usha Khanna has composed this great Shaayarana lyric penned by the renowed Shaayar Nida Faazli Saheb and Lata has sung it with intensity of emotion of a female for her heartthrob. It’s picturized on Shabaana Aazmi who sings it for Vinod Mehra.
17. Laakhon Hain Nigaah Mein, Zindagi Ki Raah Mein, Sanam Haseen Jawaan (Phir Wohi Dil Laaya Hoon – 1963) : It’s Rafi’s classic romantic song which is not directed towards any particular female by the singing hero (Joy Mukherjee) . It’s again the magic created by O.P. Nayaar-Majrooh duo.
18. Pyar Hua Ikraar Hua Hai Pyar Se Phir Kyun Darta Hai Dil (Shri 420 – 1955) : The timeless romantic duet of Lata and Manna De. A great creation of Shankar Jaikishan and Hasrat Jaipuri. The pair of Raj Kapoor and Nargis became immortal by performing this song on screen.
19. Tere Sur Aur Mere Geet (Goonj Uthi Shehnaai – 1959) : It’s a classical love song based on Raag Bihaag, sung by Lata. The poetry of Bharat Vyas is of great literary value and the soul touching composition of Vasant Desai adds to its greatness. It’s picturized on Ameeta who sings it for her love – Rajendra Kumar.
20. Aapke Pyar Mein Hum Sanwarne Lage (Raaz – 2002) : This song is my personal favourite which is picturized on Dino Morea and Malini Sharma. Sameer has penned words of great literary value and Nadeem Shravan have composed highly melodious music. This song sung by Alka Yagnik was a chartbuster and still its popularity has not come down.
Other than these top twenty, some additional love songs of my choice are as follows :
1. Chup Chup Khade Ho Zaroor Koi Baat Hai, Pehli Mulaqaat Hai Ye Pehli Mulaqaat Hai (Bari Behen – 1949) : Rajender Krishna’s memorable and immensely popular romantic lyric composed by Husnlal Bhagatram, jointly sung by Lata and Premlata and picturized on Rehman, Suraiya and others. Yes, there was a time when the first meeting of the couple was the immensely romantic one and it was a great pleasure for the friends / sisters of them to arrange it.
2. Bade Armanon Se Rakha Hai Balam Teri Kasam, O Sanam Teri Kasam, Pyar Ki Duniya Mein Ye Pehla Kadam (Malhar – 1951) : A timeless romantic duet of Lata and Mukesh, penned by Indeewar, composed by Roshan and picturized on Arjun and Shammi.
3. Pyar Kiya To Darna Kya (Mughal-E-Azam – 1960) : It’s Lata’s all time great song picturized on Madhubala in the presence of Dilip Kumar and Prithivi Raj Kapoor. It’s not only a treat to listen but also to watch. It’s not a romantic song in the true sense. It’s the bold declaration of love by the lady-in-love. Penned by Shakeel Badayuni and composed by Naushad.
4. Abhi Na Jaao Chhod Kar Ke Dil Abhi Bhara Nahin (Hum Dono – 1961) : A memorable romantic duet of Rafi and Asha, picturized on Dev Anand and Saadhna. Penned by Sahir Ludhianvi. Composed by Jaidev.
5. Main Pyar Ka Raahi Hoon, Teri Zulf Ke Saaye Mein Kuchh Der Theher Jaaoon (Ek Musafir Ek Hasina – 1962) : This song can be listened in the album only as it has not been included in the movie. It’s a highly melodious composition of O.P. Nayyar and a memorable Asha-Rafi duet. The emotional lyric was penned by S.H. Bihari.
6. Zindagi Ke Safar Mein Akele The Hum, Mil Gaye Tum To Dil Ko Sahaara Mila (Nartakee – 1963) : It’s a touching song which I can never be tired of listening. Picturized on Sunil Dutt and Nanda in a boat, it’s a song penned by Shakeel Badayuni, composed by Ravi and sung by Rafi.
7. Meri Nigaah Ne Kya Kaam Laajawaab Kiya (Mohabbat Isko Kehte Hain – 1965) : It is a song with a very high poetic quality, sung by Mohammad Rafi and presented on the screen by Ramesh Deo, singing for his wife Nanda in the presence of Shashi Kapoor. This touching romantic song has been penned by Majrooh and melodiously composed by Khayyam.
8. Mere Sapnon Ki Raani Kab Aayegi Tu (Aradhna – 1969) : A memorable classic song both for Kishore Kumar and for Rajesh Khanna. The mouth argon played in between makes the total impact simply mesmerizing. Penned by Anand Bakshi and composed by Sachin Dev Burman. Just watch it on the screen with the singing Rajesh Khanna in a jeep following his sweetheart Sharmila Tagore in the train and you are sure to forget everything except romance.
9. Ye Dil Aur Unki Nigaahon Ke Saaye, Mujhe Gher Lete Hain Baahon Ke Saaye (Prem Parbat – 1973) : A great song of Lata composed by Jaidev and written by Jaanisaar Akhar Saheb. Picturized on Rehana Sultan. It may not be a love song in the pure sense but it do presents a romantic touch in the heart of the lady who is getting romantic in the company of nature.
10. Baahon Mein Chale Aao, Haan Humse Sanam Kya Parda (Anamika – 1973) : It’s my very very favourite highly romantic song, sung by Lata, picturized on Jaya Bhaduri (she sings for Sanjeev Kumar). Penned by Majrooh and composed by R.D. Burman, this song tickles your heart when listened to and watched on the screen.
11. Deewane Hain Deewanon Ko Na Ghar Chahiye, Na Dar Chahiye, Mohabbat Bhari Ek Nazar Chahiye (Zanjeer – 1973) : A highly romantic song meant for Amitabh Bachchan and Jaya Bhaduri but actually sung by the roadside singers. The situation is very romantic when our hero-heroine listen to and watch the song being sung by them from the windows of their house and feel the love blossoming in their hearts. It’s a duet of Rafi and Lata, penned by Gulshan Bawra and composed by Kalyanji Anandji.
12. Rajnigandha Phool Tumhaare Mehake Yun Hi Jeevan Mein, Haan Yun Hi Mehake Preet Piya Ki Mere Anuraagi Mann Mein (Rajnigandha – 1974) : A great song of high literary quality penned by Yogesh, composed by Salil Chaudhary and sung by Lata. Picturized on Vidya Sinha.
13. Ek Ajnabee Haseena Se Yun Mulaqaat Ho Gayi (Ajnabee – 1974) : Kishore Kumar’s highly romantic song which Rajesh Khanna sings for Zeenat Amaan. Anand Bakshi’s romance-drenched lyric composed by Pancham Da (R.D. Burman). It’s an all time hit.
14. Dil Kya Kare Jab Kisi Ko Kisi Se Pyar Ho Jaaye (Julie – 1975) : A highly romantic song picturized on Vikram and Lakshmi. Kishore Kumar has sung the melodious composition of Rajesh Roshan with the beautiful lyrics of Anand Bakshi strung in it.
15. Bade Achchhe Lagte Hain, Ye Dharti, Ye Nadiya, Ye Raina Aur Tum (Balika Badhu – 1976) : Perhaps the most popular song of Amit Kumar, presented by Sachin on the screen (singing for his sweetheart wife Rajni Sharma). The delicate poetic words had flown from the pen of Anand Bakshi and the composition is to be credited to Pancham Da.
16. Jeevan Ke Har Mod Par, Mil Jaayenge Humsafar, Jo Dur Tak Saath De, Dhoondhe Usi Ko Nazar (Jhootha Kahin Ka – 1979) : Kishore-Asha duet picturized on the real life pair of Rishi Kapoor and Neetu Singh, lyric of Gulshan Bawra and composition of R.D. Burman.
17. Arre Jaane Kaise Kab Kahaan Ikraar Ho Gaya, Hum Sochte Hi Reh Gaye Aur Pyar Ho Gaya (Shakti – 1982) : A very good romantic duet sung by Kishore and Lata and picturized on Amitabh Bachchan and Smita Patil. Penned by Anand Bakshi. Composed by R.D. Burman. Very good words. Very good tune.
18. Aawaaz Di Hai Aashiq Nazar Ne Ya Hai Ye Dil Ko Gumaan (Aitbaar – 1985) : Bappi Lahiri’s melodious composition penned by Hasan Kamaal and picturized on Suresh Oberai and Dimple Kapadia. It’s a Asha-Bhupinder duet which after listening once, you would like to listen again and again.
19. Mera Dil Bhi Kitna Paagal Hai Jo Pyar To Tumse Karta Hai (Saajan – 1991) : A very delicate love song which is the echo of the lovers’ hearts who are not able to convey their tender feelings to each other. Penned by Sameer, composed by Nadeem Shravan and sung by Alka Yagnik and Kumar Sanu, this song has been picturized on Sanjay Dutt and Madhuri Dixit.
20. Teri Isi Ada Pe Sanam Mujhko To Pyar Aaya (Deewana – 1992) : Quite a lovable romantic song picturized on Rishi Kapoor and Divya Bharti. Sameer’s highly romantic words have been enveloped in the melody created by Nadeem Shravan. Kumar Sanu and Saadhana Sargam have given their voices to it.
22. Aye Kaash Ke Hum Hosh Mein Ab Aane Na Paayen (Kabhi Haan Kabhi Haan – 1994) : A lovely romantic song by Kumar Sanu which Shah Rukh Khan sings for Suchitra Krishnamurthy. Treat to listen. Treat to watch. Penned by Majrooh and composed by Jatin Lalit. I personally like this song very much because of the touching words and the soothing music. Kumar Sanu has sung it straight from his heart.
22. Hum Badi Dur Chale Aaye Hain Chalte Chalte (Sangharsh – 1999) : It’s a song which is only in the album and not included in the movie. If any music lover has not listened to it, I wholeheartedly advise him/her not to miss listening to this song which has been sung by Sonu Nigam and Shraddha Pandit. Lyric is of Sameer and composition is of Jatin Lalit. It is superior in the quality of lyric as well as the melody. Please listen to it with calmness in your surroundings to feel its intensity.
23. Jo Meri Rooh Ko Chain De Pyar De Woh Khushi Bann Gaye Ho Tum, Zindagi Bann Gaye Ho Tum (Kasoor – 2001) : A beautiful duet full of romantic and emotional flavour, sung by Udit Narayan and Alka Yagnik and picturized on Aftab Shivdasani and Lisa Ray. It is another gem from the team of Nadeem Shravan and Sameer.
24. Zindagi Ko Bina Pyar Koi Kaise Guzare, Mehboob Ki Aankhon Mein Badi Baat Hai Pyare (Haan Maine Bhi Pyar Kiya – 2002) : A very romantic song composed by Nadeem Shravan with extremely beautiful words penned by Sameer. Sung by Kumar Sanu (in the album, it is available in the voice of Alka Yagnik too). Picturized on Akshay Kumar and his co-star in the scene.
25. Ye Ishq Hai Gunaah To Gunaah Karke Dekhiye (Madhoshi – 2004) : A highly romantic song filmed on Bipasha Basu with John Abraham in her company. Admirable lyrics of Sita Menon have been composed by Roop Kumar Rathod. It’s been sung by Sunidhi Chauhan and Sukhwinder Singh.
26. Phir Le Aaya Dil Majboor Kya Keeje (Barfi – 2012) : The words of this song are very close to my heart and candidly speaking, I was shedding tears in the cinema hall when this song was underway on the screen in the movie. The highly touching lyrics of Sayeed Qadri have been composed by Pritam. Arijit Singh and Rekha Bhardwaj have given voices to it and the screen-performers are Ileana D’Cruz, Priyanka Chopra and Ranbir Kapoor.
And finally, one all time great romantic song which is in a league of its own – Kabhi Kabhi Mere Dil Mein Khayal Aata Hai Ki Jaise Tujhko Banaya Gaya Hai Mere Liye from the movie Kabhi Kabhie (1976) which is a memorable song of Mukesh (also sung by Lata), penned by Sahir and composed by Khayyam.
© Copyrights reserved