Life of human-beings is a journey and if continued with enthusiasm and optimism, it can be and must be more pleasant than the destination. Hindi movies have given several good songs related to journey which are full of enthusiasm, optimism and hope. I have included some of them in this review according to my subjective choice. The mode of journey can be any (even foot). It’s the spirit of travelling which is important. Here is the list of my favourite journey songs from Hindi movies –
1. Hum Jo Chalne Lage, Chalne Lage Hain Ye Raaste, Ahaha … Manzil Se Behtar Lagne Lage Hain Ye Raaste (Jab We Met – 2007) : Despite being a lover of old songs, I consider this relatively recent song as my numero uno favourite journey song. It’s underrated and less popular than the other chartbuster songs of this movie but it’s very close to my heat. It’s full of optimism and hope for life and a philosophy to enjoy the journey and the pleasant path instead of worrying about the destination. I personally believe – ACCEPT THE LIFE AS IT UNFOLDS. And this song conveys the same message. Picturized on Shahid Kapoor and Kareena Kapoor in the beautiful locales of Kota-Boondi and nearby towns of Rajasthan, it’s a pleasure to listen and to watch. The lyric of Irshad Kamil has been composed by Preetam and sung by Shaan and Ustaad Sultan Khan.
2. Musafir Hoon Yaaron, Na Ghar Hai Na Thikana (Parichay – 1972) : A memorable song sung by Kishore and picturized on Jeetendra. Gulzaar’s beautiful lyric has been composed by R.D. Burman.
3. O Maanjhi Re, Apna Kinaara, Nadiya Ki Dhaara Hai (Khushboo – 1975) : Another beautiful song with the same lyricist, composer, singer and actor with the only difference that the previous song was picturized on Jeetendra in a tonga (horse-cart) whereas this song has been picturized on him in a boat.
4. Wahaan Kaun Hai Tera, Musafir Jaayega Kahaan (Guide – 1965) : A memorable journey song with an intense feeling. Picturized on Dev Anand, penned by Shailendra and composed and sung by Sachin Da (S.D. Burman).
5. Mera Joota Hai Japani (Shree 420 – 1955) : An immensely popular song of Raj Kapoor (actor) and Mukesh (singer). Shankar Jaikishan have composed the great lyric penned by Shailendra.
6. Josh-E-Jawaani Haay Re Haay (Around the World – 1967) : Raj Kapoor’s heart-conquering song picturized on a ship, penned by Hasrat Jaipuri , composed by Shankar Jaikishan and sung by Mukesh.
7. Main To Chala Jidhar Chale Rasta (Dharkan – 1972) : A journey song which is very close to my heart. Prem Dhawan’s lyric has been composed by Ravi. Kishore Kumar has given his voice to Sanjay (Khan) for this song.
8. Geet Gaata Chal O Saathi Gungunaata Chal (Geet Gaata Chal – 1975) : A highly popular journey song picturized on teenager hero, Sachin. The beautiful lyric and the melodious composition have been created by Ravindra Jain and Jaspal Singh has sung it.
9. Raah Bani Khud Manzil (Kohra – 1964) : A beautiful journey song sung and composed by Hemant Kumar. Legendary Shaayar – Janaab Kaifi Aazmi has penned this lyric and the picturization has taken place on Biswajeet and Waheeda Rehman.
10. Kaun Disa Mein Le Ke Chala Re Batuhiya (Nadiya Ke Paar – 1982) : A heart-warmingly romantic journey song which has been picturized on Sachin and Saadhna Singh who have been given voice by Jaspal Singh and Hemlata. Lyricist-cum-composer is Ravindra Jain.
11. Chala Jaata Hoon Kisi Ki Dhun Mein Dhadakte Dil Ke Taraane Liye (Mere Jeevan Saathi – 1972) : An immensely popular journey song of singer Kishore Kumar and actor Rajesh Khanna whose lyric has been penned by Majrooh Sultanpuri and Pancham Da (R.D. Burman) has composed it.
12. More Sainyaji Utrenge Paar Ho Nadiya Dheere Baho (Uran Khatola – 1955) : A journey song in a boat picturized on Nimmi alongwith Dilip Kumar and Surya Kumari. Naushad has composed the lyric of Shakeel Badayuni and the singer is Lata Mangeshkar.
13. O Gaadi Waale Gaadi Dheere Haank Re (Mother India – 1957) : A memorable song sung by Shamshad Begum and Mohammad Rafi and picturized on Sheela Naik, Sunil Dutt and others. It’s a beautiful song picturized with the use of bullock-carts and horses watching which is a highly pleasant experience. Naushad has composed the lyric of his favourite lyricist – Shakeel Badayuni.
14. Jeevan Se Safar Mein Raahi, Milte Hain Bichhad Jaane Ko (Munimji – 1955) : Kishore Kumar’s unforgettable journey song sung for Dev Anand. It’s been sung by Lata too for Nalini Jaywant. Saahir Ludhiyanvi’s lyric has been composed by S.D. Burman.
15. Main Hoon Jhum Jhum Jhum Jhum Jhumroo (Jhumroo – 1961) : Actor-singer-lyricist-composer Kishore Kumar’s hilarious journey song. Madhubala is shown in the running train during this song.
16. Aadmi Musafir Hai, Aata Hai, Jaata Hai (Apnapan – 1977) : It’s actually a philosophical song picturized on Sudhir Dalvi and Nivedita Saraaf (Jeetendra and Sulakshana Pandit are also in the scene) in a running bus. The meaningful lyric of has been penned by Anand Bakshi, composed by Laxmikant Pyarelal and Rafi and Lata have sung it.
17. Ek Raasta Hai Zindagi Jo Tham Gaye To Kuchh Nahin (Kaala Patthar – 1978) : A very inspiring song picturized on Shashi Kapoor (on a bike), it’s been sung by Kishore Kumar (with contribution from Lata too). Saahir’s lyric has been composed by Rajesh Roshan.
18. Ye Dil Na Hota Bechaara, Kadam Na Hote Aawara (Jewel Thief – 1967) : Dev Anand’s immensely popular song sung by Kishore Kumar. S.D. Burman has composed Majrooh’s lyric.
19. O Nadiya Chale Chale Re Dhara, Chanda Chale Chale Re Tara, Tujhko Chalna Hoga (Safar – 1970) : A great philosophical song as well as nature-based song which is able to inspire the demoralized souls within moments. Indeevar has penned the great lyric which Kalyanji Anandji have composed. Manna De has sung it for the actor playing the boatman. Rajesh Khanna and Sharmila Tagore are also a part of the scene.
20. Seemayen Bulaayen Tujhe Chal Raahi (L.O.C. – Kargil – 2003) : A patriotic song signifying the journey of the Indian soldiers towards the nation’s borders to perform their duty to safeguard them with the loving ones missing them in their absence. I have included it here simply because it’s very close to my heart and listening to it always fills me with patriotic feelings and relation-based sentiments. Penned by Javed Akhtar and composed by Anu Malik, this song has been sung by Alka Yagnik with chorus in male voices and picturized on the various heroes and heroines of the movie.
1. Banjaara Main Nahin Magar Mujhe Har Nai Dagar Yun Apni Or Bulaaye Aur Main Chalta Hi Jaaoon Bas Chalta Hi Jaaoon (Khwab – 1980) : A long-forgotten underrated journey song of Mithun Chakraborty which Yesudas has sung for him. Ravindra Jain has written and composed this beautiful song.
2. Liye Sapne Nigaahon Mein, Chala Hoon Teri Raahon Mein (Mashaal – 1984) : Kishore’s inspiring song sung for Anil Kapoor, penned by Javed Akhtar and composed by Hridaynath Mangeshkar.
3. Main Raahi Anjaan Raahon Ka (Anjaana – 1969) : Laxmikant Pyarelal have composed Anand Bakshi’s lyric which Rafi has hilariously sung for Rajendra Kumar.
4. Arre Ho o o, Goriya Kahaan Tera Des Re (Caravan – 1971) : A hilarious journey song full of beats. It’s been picturized on a caravan which consists of the principal characters of the movie (Asha Parekh, Jeetendra, Aruna Irani etc.). Asha Bhonsle and Rafi with chorus have sung it. R.D. Burman has composed Majrooh’s lyric.
5. Hawa Ke Saath Saath, Ghata Ke Sang Sang, O Saathi Chal (Seeta Aur Geeta – 1972) : A fast-paced romantic song which is an Asha-Kishore duet picturized on Hema Malini and Sanjeev Kumar. R.D. Burman has strung Anand Bakshi’s words in his composition.
6. Do Panchhi Do Tinake Kaho Le Ke Chale Hain Kahaan (Tapasya – 1976) : A touching song which is a duet by Aarti Mukherjee and Kishore Kumar picturized on Raakhee Gulzaar and Parikshit Saahni in a car. M.G. Hashmat’s words have been strung by Ravindra Jain in the melodious tune.
7. Rote Huye Aate Hain Sab, Hansta Hua Jo Jaayega (Muqaddar Ka Sikandar – 1978) : A philosophical song sung by Kishore and performed by Amitabh Bachchan on a bike. Anjaan’s lyric has been composed by Kalyanji Anandji.
8. Aaj Ka Ye Din Kal Ban Jaayega Kal, Peechhe Mud Ke Na Dekh, Pyare Aage Chal (Nastik – 1983) : A very enthusiastic and inspiring song of Kishore Kumar sung for Amitabh Bachchan. Anand Bakshi has written it and Kalyanji Anandji have composed it.
9. So Gaya Ye Jahaan, So Gaya Aasmaan (Tezaab – 1988) : A memorable night-journey song picturized on Chunkey Pandey, Anil Kapoor, Madhuri Dixit etc. which has been penned by Javed Akhtar, composed by Laxmikant Pyarelaal and sung by Shabbir Kumar, Nitin Mukesh and Alka Yagnik.
10. Chal Ud Ja Re Panchhi Ki Ab Yeh Desh Hua Begaana (Bhabhi – 1957) : A very popular song of Rafi, penned by Rajinder Krishan and composed by Chitragupt, picturized on Balraaj Saahni and others.
11. Main Rangeela Pyar Ka Raahi Door Meri Manzil (Chhoti Behan – 1959) : A romantic duet of Subir Sen and Lata Mangeshkar, picturized on Mehmood and Shubha Khote. Shailendra has written it and Shankar Jaikishan have composed it.
12. Main Chali Main Chali, Peechhe Peechhe Jahaan (Professor – 1962) : A popular Lata-Rafi romantic duet performed by Kalpana and Shammi Kapoor on the screen. Hasrat Jaipuri has penned the words and Shankar Jaikishan have prepared the melody.
13. Duniya Ki Sair Kar Lo (Around The World – 1967) : A journey song sung by Mukesh and Shaarda and picturized on Raj Kapoor and Rajshree, penned by Hasrat Jaipuri and composed by Shankar Jaikishan.
14. Aha Aha Aa … Yeh Suhaana Safar (Suhaana Safar – 1970) : A journey song full of jolliness which Rafi has sung for Shashi Kapoor. The credit for the lyric goes to Anand Bakshi and for the tune goes to Laxmikant Pyarelaal.
15. Raah Pe Rehte Hain (Namkeen – 1982) : A touching journey song picturized on Sanjeev Kumar who is a truck-driver. It’s an underrated song of Kishore Kumar whose lyrics have been penned by Gulzaar and composed by R.D. Burman.
1. Apni To Har Aah Ek Toofan Hai (Kaala Baazaar – 1960) : Dev Anand sings for Waheeda Rehman in the train who is on the upper berth of the coach. A very entertaining song of Rafi, penned by Shailendra and composed by S.D. Burman.
2. Akela Hoon Main Is Duniya Mein (Baat Ek Raat Ki – 1962) : A song of Rafi, picturized on Dev Anand, penned by Majrooh and composed by S.D. Burman. I personally like this song very much.
3. Sajan Re Jhooth Mat Bolo Khuda Ke Paas Jaana Hai (Teesri Kasam – 1966) : A great philosophical song authored by Shailendra and composed by Shankar Jaikishan. Mukesh has sung it for Raj Kapoor (who is driving a bullock-cart).
4. Kaun Hai Jo Sapno Mein Aaya (Jhuk Gaya Aasmaan – 1968) : A great romantic song of Rafi which Rajendra Kumar sings while travelling by car. Hasrat Jaipuri’s lyric has been strung by Shankar Jaikishan in the melodious composition.
5. ABCDEFGHI (Hum Saath Saath Hain – 1999) : A hilarious family song full of jolliness, enjoyment and love, sung by Hariharan, Hema Sardesai, Udit Narayan, Shankar Mahadevan and Saif Ali Khan which has been picturized on different heroes and heroines of the movie. Ramlaxman has composed Raj Kiran’s lyric. It was the favourite song of my little daughter, my wife and myself when this movie was released.
Signing off, I reiterate the lines of my numero uno favourite song – Hum Jo Chalne Lage, Chalne Lage Hain Ye Raaste, Ahaha . . .Manzil Se Behtar Lagne Lage Hain Raaste (as we move, the paths also move and they appear better than the destination).
© Copyrights reserved